From:
Jon Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:25:39 -0400
I've been reading with interest studies on supplemental feeding of both carbs and protein on the Bee Informed website. The studies indicate a negative impact on colony survival from both practices.

Not surprisingly, a research answer leads to another question.

I wonder if colony survival is the same as 'most profitable practice.' Can the advantage of newly drawn foundation that results from feeding syrup pay for dead outs? Can increased brood stimulated by protein supplementation bring in more revenue from bee sales and honey production sufficient to offset increased colony loss?

I feed. My goal is honey and colony growth. Not to say I'm right. I have recently added nucs and queens. My nucs are being fed syrup and Mega Bee. I plan to increase from 3 to 20 hives in the spring of 2015. I am planning for splits in spring to lower my bee purchase costs.

I guess I'll see how that works out.