From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:31:04 -0700
> Response to Paul Cherubini's last email

Paul - just wondering how you and other beeks (Randy Oliver?) are doing this year up in the Sierra foothills with this third year of CAlifornia drought?  February, March & April in the East Bay were OK with early March swarms and getting decent cut comb production (one 9 frame sticky/colony).  With very little rain since Fall, by the second week of May the local hills had dried up, that was about two weeks earlier than last year.  Most native nectar flows in the east Bay hills were very week or nonexistent during the latter part of May and all June.  Luckily my (hobbist) hives are on the edge of town and they are getting decent stores from irrigated yards and minor aggriculture (strawberries and residential gardens).  I havent lost any colonies for three years now but don't think that I'll see more than 25-35 lbs/colony this season.

Scott Ball
Livermore,CA