From:
Rob Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2014 14:23:52 -0400
Hi guys,

I've received an inquiry from a mission in Africa about going over
and doing some beekeeper training. The hives they have are TBH. But
they sound like they want to step up honey production for revenue. My
experience with TBH is next to nothing, and I understand about low
costs making TBH the best entry into beekeeping.

But I've not seen much on how you can extract and bottle honey in a
TBH operation, and I'm wondering about a recommendation for this
group to switch over to hive bodies simply so honey can be extracted
without comb damage, and comb reused.  Here in the states, comb is
considered "expensive" and in the midwest, our short nectar flow
means we can't afford the bees the luxury of time to build combs from scratch.

So I'd like some advice here. Is there an efficient way to extract
honey from TBH that I've missed all this time? Would my
recommendation for langstroth or local equivalent make sense, for a
honey production purpose?