From:
Kathryn Kerby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2014 10:59:03 -0800
If I may, what is lost in these discussions is that there is a large and
growing group of farmers, working with all crops at all scales of size, who
aren't using pesticides or herbicides at all.  Certified organic farming has
been a reality for over 20 years, where pest and weed issues are handled
much, MUCH differently than "which chemical cocktail shall we pour out upon
the world today?"  And they're doing so profitably.  Yet that approach to
production is still treated like some fantasy.  I would strongly encourage
folks, again, to consider that we as a society have bought into the idea
that we need herbicides and pesticides.  Lots and lots and lots of proof now
that we don't.  There's a reason the agrichemical companies spend a fortune
on advertising and marketing - it's to keep us convinced that we still do.
If they really truly were the only game in town, they could save themselves
that cost and reap even higher profits.  The fact that they have to continue
to pour so much money into marketing should be the dead giveaway that
they're working really hard to sell us something we don't actually need.

Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA