From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:17:01 -0500
I would respectfully add to this, by pointing out the contradiction in
requiring proof of "bee-pocalypse", yet we willingly parrot the
unsubstantiated claim that modern agriculture will fail if neonics (or any
class of agrichemical) goes away.  Going back and reading through some of
the claims, my gosh apparently the world's crops would all fail and we'd all
starve if neonics were restricted or prohibited.

Interesting point....  I would make 2 observations though......  first they
ARE reporting a bee apocalypse,  in fact making up numbers and lying about
information to make headlines.  Lying may be strong,  but when someone from
TIME has both sides of data and only reports one,  I call that a lie.  We
don't have that data on the other side.

Second
Your correct,  farming in one sort or another would survive and grow. I
seriously believe two things would happen,  one the quality if produce would
drop,  and second  the price will rise.  I would say dramatically.  Like
Cuba after the embargo...  something like 400% rise??  Been a while so I am
going from memory.  The question isn't can we do without,  the question is
can we live with food cost being 20% instead of 8%??  Are we willing to stop
feeding other countries???

There is a 3rd factor to weigh,  should bee nirvana return,  the bee
industry will collapse.  The supply of honey doubles and the price drops to
less than half......its a sticky wicket.  I daresay a lot of the increase in
bee population is based on rising honey prices.   Wholesale in drums for
this years crop is running 2.75....

If we support ethanol for fuel again,  and price for corn and beans goes
back up,  you can talk about cutting yields.  What most don't realize is
that most farms are now 1500 acres,  because profits per acre are so low and
input cost insane.  Most farmers have a lot of assets and die broke. Darn
few farmers living high on the hog......which of course pushes them to raise
yields....  vicious circle.

Charles