From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 09:20:19 -0500
Which is why I was careful use the word "hedge".  As a doctor I am well
versed in the immune response in humans which involves a very complex
biochemical cascade dependent on a long list of required substances. If it
is similar in bees it is plausible that the trace elements in honey could
play some role.

Understood Kevin,  and its fine.  All of us are in beekeeping for different
reasons.  Most are in it for honey production.  Successful honey production
in large quanties takes supplemental feeds. To help profits.
Personal I would never dream of wintering  bees on honey.  In this area bees
would eat up an average of 300.00 worth of honey to overwinter.   They can
be overwintered well on much less than 30.00 worth of sugar or HFCS.  It's a
20-1 swing between sugar and honey prices.

That said, many choose to winter on honey.  Not a problem,  to each their
own solutions.  If I were in a more southern location it may be easier to
overwinter on honey.

As for the robbing issues,  not a problem.  normally around late aug, sept 1
all honey is pulled  some bees then go to sunflowers,  the rest come to the
home yard for mite treatments,  and feeding up in the fall.  And dinks are
killed.  Since they are well feed all fall robbing is not an issue.   They
are then moved out again come spring,  before much activity takes place.
First warm day I can move them which is above 50 and dry.

Charlie

Charles