From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:00:09 +0000
One of the things that concerns me with the so called treatment free beekeepers is the lack of interest in tracking survival of individual colonies. Many point to the fact that they "still have bees" or such and such a colony has survived for decades, etc. Here the actual survival of nearly 600 hives was followed:

> The survival and performance of 597 honey bee colonies, representing five subspecies and 16 different genotypes, were comparatively studied in 20 apiaries across Europe. Started in October 2009, 15.7% of the colonies survived without any therapeutic treatment against diseases until spring 2012.

The influence of genetic origin and its interaction with environmental effects on the survival of Apis mellifera L. colonies in Europe. Journal of Apicultural Research 53(2): 205-214 (2014)

PLB