Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2014 07:17:11 -0500
7bit
From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
However, this year I see bees working the Dutch clover.  What is different?

Seems to be similar most places,  since we had a bit harder winter the
theory I hear all the time is a deeper freeze in the roots...  But  I have
noticed the same with many other plants,  soybeans being a big one.

I have come to a loose conclusion that its not the plants , but timing and
bee choices.  I made this thought up last year when we were in severe
drought.  The bees worked soybeans harder than ever. I mean they really
worked them,  in almost every yard. I attributed this to nothing else
avalible  I decided that beans are generally a hard to work less desirable
plant,  but given no choices.  Can it be that the later timing of clover
this year means that this season it fits the schedule better?

I have another theory on nectar, we work under the assumption plants produce
it to attract pollinators.  I don't think that's the case.  It seems to me a
chicken and egg theory. That's giving a plant some credit for planning.
Seems to me its just evolution displayed.  The plants that had a nectar
product in the flower as a by product were much more successful in
dispersion  and of course more pollinators were raised as a result. A
successful loop if you will.   How else can you explain so many other plants
that do not generate nectar?

Just a theory.

2.That secretion occurs as one phase, nectar being secreted in its final
form as the result of a specific cellular activity (cited).  Bonnier (cite)
has presented evidence for a positive relationship between secretion and
root pressure.  Is that nectar attractive to other pollinators?

Yes it is,  most years there are many insect working plants, not just bees.
Many flies, wasp type insects, moths ants and Mosquito looking bugs
pollinate.  That was one of the reasons I question a lot of articles about
pollinator decline.  Seems to be a general term for bees.  GO to any
buckwheat field and look at the variety of insects working those flowers.

This year my peach trees did not bloom.  I assume that the reason is it was
too cold during the winter.

I don't think it's the cold,  but a late  spring.  Cold at the point of
daylight time triggering flowering is in my experience the factor at play.
Many years the cold is nasty but the trees get a good spring and are fine.
Your peaches were not the only one,  due to a cold snap here most of the
state has little to no peaches.  Just south of us, which got missed in one
of the cold fronts,  they have fruit set.  Its also interesting in our
orchard, plums, and apples have normal fruit sets.,  last year apples were
hit and all had a very small crop.

Is it also possible that reproduction success in most non domesticated
plants is highly variable??

To expand your question a bit,  what is root pressure?  My understanding of
it is that evaporation from the leaves creates a differential,  if so, then
weather would be the main and driving factor?  As I type that I question it
a lot.  We tap a few silver maples here in the yard in late December early
jan,  not a leaf to be found, yet sap is flowing...

Great observation....

Charles