HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2016 22:28:50 +0100
I’m getting kind of cynical about stuff like this, since the same BS is happening everywhere.

It’s not just ISIS and the Taliban who are destroying heritage, but no one seems to be able to do anything about it.

From: Arch-L [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marco De Donno

I suppose someone among us is interested in classical archaeology and maybe also in local political matters about mediterranean archaeology, so I would like to draw the attention of all you to this petition to the italian heritage Minister,  opposing the proposal to close all around the country the local archaological offices, and simply to embed some archaeologists into the architecture and fine arts ones.

From the political point of view I’m not very sure I have a so strong personal opinion about (against or in favour) at the moment, since I'm not sure how archeological heritage offices are mostly organized abroad, anyway I absolutely think this piece of news has to be immediately known and discussed also among the colleagues all over the world who are in every manner involved in italian archaeology, since it could seem simply a local matter, but obviously it isn’t.

This is the official english summary of the petition; everyone (from every country) can sign it online:

"SAVE THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL HERITAGE OF ITALY!
The Italian Ministery of Cultural Heritage is undertaking a radical reform of the legal system which protects the archeological monuments. After 110 years of activity the Archaeological Heritage Offices are being cancelled. The reform has been designed very quickly, without any debate inside the the Ministery itself. Furthermore, it seems that the rules concerning rescue archaeology are going to be eliminated from the new code of the public contracts (in opposition to the European Valletta Convention). All this would destroy the preservation system of the italian archaeological heritage.
Aware of the need to enhance the saveguarding system we invite the Ministery to withdraw proposed decree and to open a discussion with the experts in the field by involving also the international scientific community.
The archaeological heritage of Italy is world heritage!"

You can give a glance at this link (in italian, english and some more languages):

https://www.change.org/p/dario-franceschini-salviamo-l-archeologia-italiana-save-the-italian-archaeology

About the same you can also see (only in italian):
http://archeoimprese.forumup.it/viewtopic.php?t=217 <http://archeoimprese.forumup.it/viewtopic.php?t=217&mforum=archeoimprese> &mforum=archeoimprese

Marco