HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Stottman, Michael J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2015 22:46:11 +0000
Sounds like a house cleaning episode, which I find nearly always corresponds to a documented change in occupation, architectural changes to buildings on the property, or changes to ordinances or laws governing privy construction, which might cause a privy to be abandoned for its primary function before it is full.  You will see the contents of a house sets of old dishes, furniture parts, shoes, architectural debris (bricks and window glass), personal items, etc. in addition to the usual privy stuff bottles and animal bone.  Especially in instances of change in occupation, I often see the disposal of old ceramics, where there is quite a disparity between mean dates and T.P.Q.s.  When a privy is abandoned before it is full it is a good place to dump items people don't want to take with them when they move.  I discuss some of this in my masters thesis.  I will be glad to send a pdf if you send an email to me off list.

Jay

M. Jay Stottman
Staff Archaeologist
Kentucky Archaeological Survey