HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Hylkema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:33:48 -0700
Hi Scott,

Yes, within the past two years, we excavated a pair of privies in the same
house lot (according to Sanborn maps) dating from 1930-40ish (we haven't
finished identifying all the makers marks on things yet) that were FULL of
a vast range of items, including clothing, jewelry, pocket watches, alarm
clocks, men's adult shoes, furniture bits, toys, two tricycles, stove
parts, perfumes, toiletry items, Christmas lights, picture frames, mattress
springs, pots and pans, utensils, a Willard battery charger, tools, plus
all the "normal" privy stuff. It was like opening a WWII era Sears
Catalogue.

I postulate also that this was one major dump event, due to the house being
suddenly vacated, although why I haven't figured out yet. Could be eviction
or death? A hoarder? I can't imagine someone just voluntarily moving out
and leaving all that stuff behind, especially with the reality of the Great
Depression fresh in their heads. What is a little confusing is all the
men's, women's, and children's things intermingled.

We have earthquakes here, but it doesn't make sense that this was the
cause. We do have another privy on the same block that dates to right
around 1906 (the Great San Francisco Earthquake) that is full of broken
dishes from the same service that are whole when reassembled, so I'm
guessing it's earthquake damage. They're all lumped together in one mass
depositional event.

One of the sources we will be checking are the city directories to look at
the residential history of the parcel to try and see if anyone
"disappeared" from the residence during that general time. Are there city
directories available for your area? The ones for our particular city
typically list the occupants, whether they rent or own, their occupation,
and family members, if any.

Good luck,
Linda

Linda Hylkema
*Cultural Resources Manager, Santa Clara University*
W: *408-554-4513* | C: *408-219-5748* | F: *408-551-1709* | Ricard
Observatory | 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053