HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Speal, Charles S" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 15:00:08 -0400
Likewise I suppose that if your priority is on bullying other people into adopting your point of view through scathing and derisive comments, I suppose you are right on the mark. I recognize that this is your talent. On the other hand, I see no 'evidence' that you have presented concerning anything-especially concerning the utility of enforcing antiquities laws, which I guess you don't think should exist. I certainly not impressed by any simplistic comparison of two cases like the UK and Austria, which you obliquely refer to, is of any reaching rational significance anyway nor that it pertains to circumstances here in the states. Besides the fact that consideration of two isolated cases carries about no scientific weight and is hardly evidence, there is the issue of entirely different histories and cultures concerning the collection of artifacts. Even if something works well in the UK, and I am not at all impressed by the coin hoard prospecting that goes on over there under govt sponsorship, there is no guarantee that it would be effective in the US, which has very different attitudes toward cultural heritage and private property. That's beside the fact that the archaeology here is utterly different.

Besides, your comments do not really pertain to the subject of my post, anyway. I was simply saying that, in the case when antiquities laws are enforced it might not hurt to highlight it. For the second time, I didn't say anything about new laws or enforcement. If you have an axe to grind on that I'd appreciate not being used as your straw man.