From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:38:36 -0500
Given the experience that bees brought into a given area from far away don't
alway perform the same in their new location perhaps a better moniker should
be 'locally proven'?

Kevin,  there are a quite a few like you who state things factually and
fairly.  Unfortunately there are many who do not understand the concept, or
do not care as long as they make a buck.  My concern is when people like
those here on this list (which covers a lot of the published works) use the
terms and clueless people use it as a sales pitch for even less informed
people.  Or worse yet like I see here in IL, queen breeding programs that
are muddying the water even more.

In your case it doesn't seem like you need a term.  A good discussion solves
that!   I go back to my original question.  If I had a hive of non locals
and a hive of locals sitting side by side could you tell the difference?
And wait and see is not an answer......the other factor that you may
consider, is if you use your "locals"  does your hive success rate go up"
theory holds  local bees should show 100%,  non locals a lot less.  Then of
course you get into measuring success,  which we as beekeepers still have
trouble with.  In fact we are so bad,  we recommend(as a group) that newbies
start with 2 hives.... to compare to each other.....in theory local could
solve that???

Charles