From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2014 09:02:05 -0500
Why do you think it was small hive  beetle that killed them, as opposed
to some problem before the beetle took over?

I don't think,  I am sure.  Too many samples.  I have photos if you PM me.
But whats happening is the beetles are laying in the pollen band, and some
reports of actually in thru the sides of larval cells.    You start to see
larva in the pollen band and they tunnel into the brood cells and feed on
larva.  You will start to see bit and pieces of dead larva the adult bees
carry out.  Look close and you will see perforated cappings and parts of the
exoskeletons'  of the larva the consume. As fhey finish off a frame or two
of brood, by then the larva which are highly mobile,  have traveled around
the hive and consume all the open brood and royal jelly.  For some reason
the bees do not attack the SHB larva and pretty much allow them to do
anything.

Seen many in different stages this year.  Finally understanding what I am
actually seeing. If you loose a hive look close at the brood nest area.

Charles