HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mick Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2017 01:07:06 +0000
Hi Linda,

Like others who have commented, we have found that AGI photoscan provides a very cost-effective means for larger scale modeling  and we have been using it at Flinders University for a couple of years now. We have found is most suited to landscape and site-based modelling, rather than artefacts, though I know that some colleagues here have used it to create models of objects 1m or so in size, such as anchors. It's brilliant way to obtain 3D models of trenches during the excavation process. It's also very easy to use.

My experience has been that for smaller scale objects (0.05- 1.5  m), modelling in Photoscan is quite fiddly and time consuming because you need to trim out background detail incidentally captured in your images. Photographing objects against a neutral background might get around much of that headache, but there is still manual post-processing to do. The time involved in post-processing smaller models is the main drawback if you are working through larger collections and so we are looking at higher-end laser scanners such as the Einscan Pro or the Artec Eva for intensive modelling of museum collections. Technology will change, as others have noted, but by going for a higher resolution laser scanning tool now, you *should* end up with a  3D model that will be more detailed and precise, in less time. It would be interesting to hear if others agree with this or have compared these two approaches in terms of model accuracy.

Regards

Mick Morrison.