HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Webb, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2017 20:07:12 +0000
Thanks very much to everyone who's chimed in on this, both on and off the list.

It is a hillside, although now partially destoyed. As one person noted, multiple annotations on that side of the map relate to animal husbandry. So I am good with it being an area where hogs foraged; which would be compatible with contemporary accounts (although they don't mention "Der Sauberg" by name, or appear to reference that specific location.)  For example:

December 18, 1776 - The Oeconomie killed the hogs which have fed in the woods....

For those who haven't seen them, the Records of the Moravians in North Carolina (available as searchable .pdfs on www.archive.org) offer incredible information on their 18th century communities.

Paul