From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:02:59 -0700
>the occasional colony that completely manages mites, despite being in

> the same environment, and surrounded by mite-infested colonies, suggests
> that there is a genetic component.
> I am sorry, but this is a non-sequitir. This doesn't necessarily imply a
> genetic component at all. There may be, but it is just as likely to be a
> serendipitous combination of traits, timing, or other factors.

Don't follow your logic Pete.  Traits are mainly due to genetics.  Timing
and all other factors were the same for all colonies.

> >Further, even if this colony has "the right stuff" can they pass it to
> another colony? If it was genetically linked to a particular drone lineage,
> and you raised queens from a different lineage from that hive, you might
> get none of genetic component (if there is one).

I understand bee genetics.  In my limited experience, when I've bred from
my best mite resistant colonies, and allowed them to open mate, I slowly
lose that exceptional mite resistance over a few generations.  But in most
cases, the F1 does appear to exhibit some of that trait.  I have not
performed rigorous tests for heritability, but I've been breeding bees for
about 30 years, and have a fairly good feeling for what I see.

> >Which prompts the question: why isn't everyone using [Russians]?

Pete, I feel that you are trying to oversimplify peoples' choices re
Russians.  I have a fair amount of experience with them, and your offered
choices did not cover any of the reasons for my decisions why or why not to
use them.

I understand that you are skeptical about any honey bees ever being able to
develop resistance to varroa.  Based upon the history of evolution of bees,
and all on-the-ground evidence that I've personally seen, I do not share
your skepticism.  Indeed, I see the evolutionary process playing out quite
nicely, albeit slowly.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA