From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:32:57 -0400
> This surprises me....
> Any trace of antibiotics in what we sent to
> the cheese factory, and they'd dump the whole tank.

...and back-bill the responsible dairy for the cost of the whole tanker load
dumped, as the other dairies want to get paid.

Unlike beekeeping, the dairy industry has extensive checks and balances, as
all the milk goes through the same tests, administered by people who are not
about to cut anyone even the slightest slack on antibiotics in the milk.
Surprisingly, there are some who are unaware of just how regimented the
dairy business has become, and how extensive the scrutiny has become.   This
is not to say that the tests are perfect, but the penalties for
non-compliance are so harsh, the dairies are intimidated into taking extra
precautions.

>> "The slogan of the inspection campaign should be,
>> 'Every man his own inspector.'"

This is the exact contrasting problem in beekeeping - everyone is insulted
at the idea that some impartial party might inspect their hives, and (gasp!)
find something.  Go to any meeting of any group of farmers, and one finds
that they hang on every word of their local Agricultural Extension office,
and the local professor(s) at the land-grant school.  Growers prosper on the
advice and counsel of these experts, and they are grateful for the support.

Beekeepers tend to argue with advice they are given.  Not surprisingly, few
of them are as prosperous as their neighboring farmers.