Content-Transfer-Encoding:
8bit
In-Reply-To:
MIME-Version:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (86 lines)
'Punk Archaeology: the Book".  Not likely to be to everyone's taste, but there is considerable historical archaeology in it. Also, it is a free download. You can buy print if you prefer.  You can link to it here https://mediterraneanworld.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/punk-archaeology-the-book/

Bob Muckle

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mann, Robbie
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"

Hi Anna et al.

I have found this thread very timely as I am prepping a new upper division undergraduate/graduate level Historical Archaeology class for the Spring semester.  When I taught a similar-level class at LSU, I used Orser's textbook augmented by Hall and Silliman's edited Historical Archaeology volume.  I also used exercises from Barber's Doing Historical Archaeology (and yes the students always love the cemetery exercise).  

This time, though, I am thinking of revamping the class somewhat.  I am considering using Orser's new volume "A Primer on Modern-World Archaeology" as the primary text.  I am also thinking about adding 3-4 book-length case studies in place of the edited volume.  I was thinking along the same lines as you and others in terms of Deetz "In Small Things Forgotten," Ferguson's "Uncommon Ground," Loren's "Archaeology of Clothing and Bodily Adornment in Colonial America," Spector's "What this Awl Means."   Other possibilities include Cipolla's "Becoming Brotherton" Larkin's and McGuire's "The Archaeology od Class War" (though it is an edited volume and at over 350 pages it might not work as well as some others).

At any rate, I was wondering if others have suggestions for additional book-length case studies.

Best,
Rob Mann 

Rob Mann, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Department of Sociology and Anthropology St. Cloud State University
252 Stewart Hall
720 4th Avenue South
St. Cloud, Minnesota 56301
phone: 320-308-4181

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anna Agbe-Davies
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 12:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"

Hello again, all,

This is proving to be really interesting.  I get HistArch as a digest, so I'm just now seeing what some people wrote.  Thanks to everyone who's applied on- and off-list.

I appreciate the question about "what kind of course?" I was interested to see what people would take "undergrad historical archaeology" to mean.  It's good to see such strong advocacy for method, theory, and history of the discipline.  Artifacts/modern material culture/lab probably my next course!  This one is meant to be a topical/area course on the modern world via archaeology.

It's encouraging to find that none of these books is entirely new to me, though people's comments have made me consider some from new angles.

FYI, these are the ones that folks mentioned to me off-list:

[I use] Whitney Battle-Baptiste's book regularly with undergraduates...I find that a lot of students really respond well to the text, and it raises a lot of interesting discussion. I usually teach it in fieldwork classes where we're discussing community archaeology and African Diaspora archaeology, but I think it could also have a useful place in a broader survey.

I've taught with a couple of the UPF "American Experience in Archaeological Perspective" series, as well, although I have never found them as successful as books like Uncommon Ground and Black Feminist Archaeology. But students like them, they are short enough to get them to read the whole thing, and they are affordable. Diana Loren's book on dress is great, and I've also used Eleanor Casella's book on institutional confinement.

[The] brief intro to Historical Archaeology by Barbara Little is really good. Concise intro to the key issues, progressive in outlook, lots of good examples, and cheap enough to be able to use with  other books

I'm also very partial to Whitney Battle-Baptiste's book Black Feminist Archaeology.

best,

Anna

On 10/17/2014 3:00 AM, HISTARCH automatic digest system wrote:
> There are 9 messages totaling 667 lines in this issue.
>
> Topics of the day:
>
>    1. "the one [other] book I can't do without" (9)
>
>

--
Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
UNC-Chapel Hill
CB # 3115 / 301 Alumni Building
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3115

[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2