From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2014 18:09:33 -0000
> City of London, where there seems to be more than one hive per block in
many areas

I quoted this in February 2013:

Karin Courtman started by saying that, some time back, London Beekeepers
were a cosy group of 6 to 8 beekeepers meeting at different homes.  Now they
are 300.  There are just too many beekeepers in London: annual honey surplus
was 12lbs; it is now down to 9lbs per colony and they are now feeding bees
all the year round.  She was contacted recently by a firm of accountants:
“We would like some bees on our flat roof as they are GREEN and good for the
environment.” After talking with them, they came to an agreement to have
empty hives and to sponsor London Beekeepers Association.  There was much
discussion on how to engage Corporates for the good of beekeeping.  The
numbers of “NEW ENTRANTS” to beekeeping is a challenge to all associations.
LBKA are now restricting beginners’ courses to 35 at a time.
From the BBKA Annual Forum

Even our hard-pressed government are now putting money into 'Urban Meadows'.
Utter madness in my view - no farm crops in the centre of London.  Meanwhile
our National Health Service is collapsing for lack of funding.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W