From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 18:03:58 -0800
I found Jim's description of the New York newbees to simply be an accurate
scientific observation of a dominant subset of idealistic beginning
beekeepers.  A very similar population exists in California.  Many I count
as friends and go out of my way to support them, as they remind me very
much of my generation in the younger day.  The last thing that I want to
stifle is idealism, experimenting, and trying various options.

But as Jim points out, idealism is most productive when grounded in facts
and validated by real-life experience.  When I was that age, I sought out
and hung with elders who had already been there and tried that.  Such
learning from others' experience gave me a head start over those who had to
learn everything the hard way (not that there was still any lack of things
to learn the hard way).  I still try to extract valuable nuggets of
hard-won practical knowledge from every experienced that I meet.

An ethical question arises when we are selling nucs.  Sometimes my sons ask
me why I sell our precious bees, lovingly raised, to those whom we know
will let them die due to idealistic neglect or some whacked-out idea that
we already know will lead to the bees' ugly death.  That's a tough one for
me.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA