HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2015 16:58:30 -0400
We found one of those...I think in the U. S. Grant Jr. summer home dump site (but cant trust my memory). THANKS for the ID!  But How does one easily SEE thru those grooves/lines?  Guess it wasn't super accurate.

The summer home was near a rail spur (Aloha Sta)...so near a rail line.
Also among the items were 2 Totally smashed shell casings!  Finally it occurred to me.  I bet the children put the casing on the rail to watch what would happen when the train ran over it!  I couldn't figure out any other way for the casing to be SO flattened (no hammer marks).
I'm pretty sure the son collected the various shell casings (shot shells too) since there was a collection of over 100 handgun or shotgun casings of only 1 or 2 of each "brand" (name, like Climax, Arrow, Magic, etc.)...along with 107 rifle shells - of 5 makers, mostly Union Metallic Cart. Co....of 8 different firing pin marks.

Carol Serr

Carol(at)LagunaEnv.com