HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 05:05:28 +0000
There seems only one honest answer to the project manager's question: "Are you friggin' kidding me? These are human remains you're talking about. Can you seriously think that it would, under any circumstances, be acceptable to intentionally incorporate paving over human remains in an engineering plan?" Not that the answer should be given to the project manager with exactly those words or exactly the tone of voice that I "hear" when I write them here. "No sir, I can't refer you to such a study and I can't imagine there is a study of how much pressure can be applied to buried human remains before they go to dust." Still too tacky?
I have encountered situations in which folks tried to figure out how to get around proper mitigative procedures by intentionally covering sites with various road materials. I can't think of one that actually happened simply because of the potential impacts to the sites while trying not to impact the sites, but I'm sure it's happened somewhere, maybe many somewheres.
BUT, these are human remains. The level of disrespect apparently represented by the question would be astounding if it didn't reflect the long-standing approach of bunching human remains with artifacts as simply more things found at archaeological sites. We've brought this sort of disrespect with us over time and, while we like to think we're moving away from it (some of the stakeholder folks with whom we have to consult don't agree, as we all know), we have not finished cleaning the depths of its permeation (pun not intended) related to what we do and why we do it.
That said, cultural standards can play heck with both our older approaches of bones-are-artifacts and our newer approaches of humans-are-not-artifacts. A few years back I had a revelatory experience during a conversation with a tribal consultant about an excavated site that included human burials (it's important to state that, my lesson notwithstanding, the tribe was very cooperative with our work). The position of the tribe, I was informed, was that it would have been better for the site and the burials to have been destroyed by land-disturbing construction than for it to have been excavated prior to disturbance, with all the artifacts and the bodies removed from the location to which they belonged. There were no legal ways for that to happen and the tribe knew that. The point was that human-caused construction disturbance, while not desirable (the tribe would have preferred that the site be left alone but that wasn't going to happen), could be seen as a kind of natural process, one of the many that had already happened to the site. Natural processes are expected and understood as parts of the life cycles of pots, houses, and people--from the earth back to the earth. Since the elders were buried there and were still there, the site has never been abandoned. Our excavations actually disturbed and halted those processes and their expected outcomes, and took the elders from their home. Reburial nearby was not really acceptable but approved--at least the elders would be close to home--but their stuff, the things with which they lived, the structures in which they lived, were taken away and the elders and their things could not return to their earth together. I had never thought of our work like that but once I heard it, many things told to me by other Native people began to make sense. I realized, more clearly than before, that respect for human remains is deeply, culturally identified. I'm not suggesting that legal standards be changed to allow destruction of human remains (re-read my first paragraph), only that respect for them is not necessarily a simple matter.

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Supervisory Archaeologist/Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico

  *   The Center for New Mexico Archaeology
  *   7 Old Cochiti Road
  *   Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507
  *   tel: 505.476.4426
  *   e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."  -- Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer