From:
Kathryn Kerby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2014 17:47:32 -0800
Good evening Peter.  I'll agree completely that advertising is necessary for
a healthy business.  We advertise our products too, for all the same reasons
you gave.  Perhaps a better statement would have been to somehow quantify
the volumes of advertising they use.  What I was thinking as I wrote that,
was the massive amounts of marketing we get every week in our mailbox, from
a very short list of agrichemical companies, trying over and over to get us
to buy their products.  They use full-color two page ads in all our farming
magazines.  Plus the mailers to our PO box, plus the counter displays at the
farm store, plus the "workshops" and "field days" to demo their latest
chemicals, plus all the other marketing campaigns.  It's relentless.  I
attended a few of those field days and came away feeling like I'd just
voluntarily participated in a brainwashing session.  That's what I was
reacting to.  I've even spotted so-called "news" articles which if you look
carefully are just one long infomercial, where all the scientists
interviewed worked for them, and the information being presented was "this
is the only way to do this".  I seem to recall at least one of those
articles being presented here, as if it were an objective news story.  Then
I hear or read comments on lists like this where it's assumed that chemical
ag is the only way to do something, and that sounds just like the pitch I
heard during their hosted field days.  For anyone who didn't have
alternative information, that might sound like a reasonable statement.  But
we've been living the proof that there are alternatives.  Perhaps I'm just a
small voice hollering about those alternatives, but I'll keep hollering.
And I'll keep chucking their sales flyers in the recycling can.  Perhaps
they'll eventually have real value as compost somewhere.

Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com

Snohomish, WA