Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 23:44:37 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Kathryn's comment that stress in conifers can produce a "what the hell go for it you'll die anyway" approach to reproduction, thus making blooms with or without nectar, is thought-provoking.

Dave's observation that soybeans only produce nectar when it is hot and dry as they can be pollinated by wind otherwise is interesting...I didn't know that some plants can be pollinated by either wind or bees, and also I didn't know that a plant would make nectar when it is "dry" but not when it is moist (?).  I suppose this depends on "how dry"?  I cannot believe they'd have water to spare for nectar if they were badly water-stressed.

Peter points out that the variety of commercial crop, like different strains of rape, could affect the amount of nectar they make.  (Jerry told me this too....plant breeders aren't considering some important aspects of a plant's properties when they select their "favorites", and then we get big fields of non-foraged plants.)

I agree with Pete that the nectar secretion story will vary with the species of plant as well as many other variables.

My family lore holds that cool nights and warm/hot days make great honey here in New York.  Well, this year we have that kind of season, just about every honey plant is in full bloom, local farmers are planting clover instead of corn (!!!) and unfortunately for me, this year I mostly just have nucs!  Oh well as long as the nucs thrive I should be pleased....I guess.

Hobbying along....Christina

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2