From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 18:01:39 -0500
> only the Fluency Agent by Bayer
> CropScience is permitted to minimize
> the potential for abrasion that produces
> insecticidal seed dust.

Yeah, that'll happen.  The farmers will all line up to pay more for "seed
lubricant". Uh huh.

In the mid-1970s, "Mr. Coffee" was introduced, pitched by Joe DiMaggio in
commercials, which was Joe's first time pitching, as he was a center
fielder.  The machine was claimed to make a better cup of coffee.  Yes, a
percolator left on the stove too long would result in overheated (bitter and
burned) coffee, but the coffee made by Mr. Coffee was pretty horrible every
time. As my dog and I woke up before dawn every day, we made the coffee for
the household, and we stuck with the old-skooll percolator, as the smell of
the coffee wafting about was a pleasant thing.

Then, the Mr. Coffee people came out with "Mr. Coffee Coffee", a special
grind of coffee that was claimed to somehow be impossible for the machines
at the A&P grocery store (famous for their own brand of coffee, and the
coffee grinders at every cash register) to duplicate.

Somehow this seemed an admission that their coffee machine was fatally
flawed and deficient. Who had ever heard of needing special coffee for a
coffee pot?  But people who had bought the machine bought the coffee, too.
(Later, these would become customers for Apple, who still plays the same
trick, over and over.)

Rather than trying to eliminate the dust (not gonna happen, go talk to any
seed-drill owner) have any seed drill manufacturers come out with a retrofit
kit to vent the dust DOWN rather than up?  How about a water spray
attachment, the usual way dust is knocked down in industrial settings?

Do we beekeepers have to design such simple mods for everyone?