From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:11:25 -0500
New ideas are often rejected - especially disruptive technologies and those that change paradigms - the earth is flat.  Often the originator is ignored or vilified; look at the difficulties that Gallileo faced.  Darwin is recognized for his contributions to biology and evolution, bit the person who developed much the same and preceded him is mostly forgotten.

And then, there's the problem of when something proves to be useful and profitable - remember Langstroth, who more or less went bankrupt trying to protect his patents.

I've had a taste of both issues - our work on Nosema and viruses was roundly attacked by some, and others have announced that they dislike patents and some are actively trying to break our Smart (electronic) hive patents, our Bee Training for search and location of landmines, other chemicals, and things like diseased plants, our LIDARs for military uses,  and our Acoustic Scanner patents.  We'd happily negotiate business partnerships or a license, but some folks just insist on full force attacks or Tease and Seize tactics.  I dislike dragging the lawyers into an issue.  Still, some of our patents are held by the State of Montana and the Montana University System.  They have a vested interest in seeing the work conducted in Montana in their facilities come into widespread use.  They'd rather license the technologies, but if that is rebuffed, they will take action to protect the IP developed at their institutions.  They remember that Florida lost any royalties from energy drinks like GatorAide -not anxious to repeat that lesson.

Jerry

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt