Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:12:05 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
> It appears that you believe that all feral stock in Los Angeles is "AHB", as in, those bees that kill horses and dogs? This is a misconception held and promoted by many in the east and Midwest who have no first hand experience with ferals. 

In 2012 I saw a presentation from Dr. Ernesto Guzman on the spread of AHB, and he described the reproductive strategies of AHB observed in Mexico:

(From my notes:)

- Traits are not diluting as previously hoped.
- AHB Queens suppress non-AHB drones, giving a preference to AHB genetics.  (Notes do not describe mechanism)
- Frequent absconding, and frequent usurpation of EHB colonies.
- They gather less honey but instead divert energy into reproduction - They gather more pollen and raise more brood than EHB.
- Higher drone production, to the point of area-saturation.

I recall being left with the impression of a chilling and borg-like reproductive strategy that left no stone unturned, and no opportunity unexploited.   

In a non-temperate climate, it seems plausible that AHB would quickly displace unmanaged EHB.

It has been mentioned many times before, but also bears repeating:  AHB temperment can vary based on circumstances, and lack of "killing horses and dogs" doesn't necessarily mean they aren't AHB.    

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2