From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:26:41 -0800
In every study that I've seen in which the genetics of feral populations of
honey bees were compared to those of commercial stocks maintained in the
same area, the ferals maintained their independent genetic integrity.

In California, prior to varroa, several independent feral populations
reflected fitness selection, and tended to separate back into the genetics
of the original populations imported from Europe, according to local
conditions.

In my own beekeeping career, I've observed rapid evolution of the
California population for tracheal mite, chalkbrood, and of late, AFB
resistance.  Such evolutionary adaptation has been slower for resistance to
varroa, but we have mainly ourselves to blame.

Such shifts in the gene pool, although certainly not speciation, might
nonetheless be considered to be evolution.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA