Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:40:09 -0500
From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>

<I was under the assumption, maybe incorrect, that in the summer the workers worked themselves to death, not that they died of old age.

That's what one of our European scientists found years ago, marking lots of bees.  There is both a forager day life, and an kilometer life.  The latter seems to drive the equation.  When floral resources are abundant, the workers have a 10-11 day  forage life span.  Spring/Fall when floral resources are more sporadic, weather may hold bees in, the foragers live longer.

We used this in our PC BeePop model years ago- made for good predications of colony size,except in the winter - when bees confined to hives.

Jerry