From:
David E MacFawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2014 18:18:47 -0500
In a message dated 11/28/2014 5:05:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

THe  message I am getting is that if I want splittable hives early I should
start  feeding patties in January and not Nov. or Dec., right?

Yes,  If you want to split the end of February/First of  March.  Tough to
get queens much earlier unless you want to make a "walk  away split" and let
the bees raise their own queen.  If they raise their  own queen the first
workers would emerge in the middle of  April.   This means that you will not
have many bees if you are interested in catching  the nectar flow in SC ( end
of March/first of April thru end of May/first of  June).  Don't know what
your strategy/goal is.  If you feed  patties/syrup too early you will be
spending a lot of money keeping the bees  alive and not starving.

Steve Tabor  often thought about experimenting and feeding patties/  syrup
early to see if he could make a super of honey off the maples the end of
January/first of February.  I do not know of anyone in SC that has
successfully done that.

Dave MacFawn
Lexington, SC