From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2013 08:25:44 -0400
>I am getting a full knee replacement and am wondering how that is going to affect my ability to continue to keep bees.

First, I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.  Just work in this field.

Second, have not had the operation, but know others, who have, and have observed their results and seen their rehab and post-surgery literature.  From one:

"Do not do any heavy lifting (more than 40 lb) or weight lifting."

Besides the recommendations to change hive type, which may or may not be practical in your situation with 75 hives (another option in that vein would be to switch to all mediums, or shallows with an 8 frame configuration), I have another suggestion, which is a change in methodology.  I have used this method successfully, whenever I have tweaked my back (which happens more and more often these days) and need to go light with the lifting for a while.

I use a second box - deep, medium, shallow - whatever will hold frames from the box I want to lift/move (I use deeps), and I move half of the frames from the full box to the empty box before any manipulations.  Makes it a lot easier to move the first box.  It also makes it easier to do things, like play one of my favorite games "Hunt for the Elusive Queen".  If half a box is still too heavy, just move more frames until the first is light enough to work.  Will take more time, but it beats having to give up something you love.  Just a thought.

Oh, and I also use a lower back brace for support.  Along those lines, I would suggest wrapping your knees very well beforehand to help stabilize them.  A lot of the injuries with knee replacement therapy come from twisting or torquing the knee (which is why spikeless shoes for golfing are recommended), and it's easy to take a misstep with a box in both hands on uneven ground.

Hope this helps,

Bill