HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:57:20 -0500
Hello Ms. Peixotto,

I hope these resources are not too basic to be useful for your request, but there are a number of resources, people, and networks to whom you might reach out in different communities of historical archaeology. A key is tapping a person in each network and I hope this provides a bit of a road map from an Americanist perspective.

Of course, the SHA's Gender and Minority Affairs Committee is a key resource:
http://www.sha.org/about/gender_minority.cfm
This committee has a long history. A group of professional archaeologists formed the Historical Archaeology Womens Caucus in 1988.  That group organized the SHA's Committee on Gender Issues in 1991, which was further expanded into the Gender and Minority Affairs Committee in 1994.
The GMAC chair is Florie Bugarin. Email:  [log in to unmask]

You will find this group and to be a very valuable resource.

The Society for American Archaeology has a couple of related organizations, as does the American Anthropological Association (notably, COSWA) and the Archaeological Institute of America.
http://www.archaeological.org/interestgroups/156
https://ecommerce.saa.org/saa/staticcontent/staticpages/adminDir/committeeDisplay.cfm?Committee=COMMITTEE%2FSTAS
http://www.aaanet.org/sections/afa/
http://www.aaanet.org/committees/coswa/

In 2009 a group of my colleagues began a blog about their experiences, which they have not updated often since then, but you may find the contacts useful since it involved a number of maritime archaeologists:
http://womeninarchaeology.blogspot.com

Cheers
Tim Scarlett