From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2013 11:24:30 -0400
You will get a lot of answers, but I believe the average is 15 mph.  Other than the "Hive and the Honey Bee by Dadant" I restrict my google searches to .edu domains for such or at the very least, make sure the source is a .edu domain.   The only thing I have found to answer your other questions is a 1996 paper which can be found at the below link:

http://www.academia.edu/836032/The_flight_characteristics_of_drones_in_relation_to_mating

The article centers on drones, but makes references to workers as have x times load carrying capacity, flight distance and speed of the drone.

It cites other sources, but I am not aware if anyone has absolutely nailed it down.

I have heard of max speeds of 20 or 22 mph, but that is probably when you are getting chased out of an apiary by some disgruntled guard and forager bees.

Steve