Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:29:35 -0400
I'm back.

I extracted my honey and it seemed very thick and fully ripe.

To make sure, I bought a refractometer.  I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-RF15-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B003H7ILCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379251171&sr=8-1&keywords=refractometer

When I put any honey sample on the thing, I see no blue at all.  The whole viewfinder is white.  That includes my samples and any other honey sample that I have (including some that I am quite sure are fine.)

When I put water on it, it displays as I'm told it will, with the blue/white dividing line at zero.  And with nothing at all on it the whole view is blue, again as expected.

Can you folks with more experience using a refractometer tell me what I'm doing wrong?

This is what the scale in my refractometer looks like when there is no sample on the prism.  It is all white (instead of all blue) when I put any honey on it.

https://www.homebrewstuff.com/media/wysiwyg/refractometer_no_liquid.gif

Any help would be appreciated.

--glen