Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2013 18:36:13 -0400
Allen wrote: "I have not bought wax foundation for 30 years"

That beats me by about a quarter century, but I'm still using up the
stack I have. Cutting it into starter strips, I get about 5 per sheet.
Generally for comb renewal I cut out the old, bred in, comb from
frames, leaving a 'footprint' round the edge to guide the bees in
re-building.  The brood patterns in the new comb have to be seen to be
believed! They love it!

Those who have hives with mesh floors and check the debris will
probably have noticed discarded wax plates even at times when there is
no income and no obvious need to produce fresh wax.  This suggests that
bees are going to produce wax whether needed or not at the right age,
so the sums calculating how much sugar needs to be fed to produce so
much wax are a red herring.

There is a growing market for wax with 'natural' soap and cosmetic
makers so it is worth harvesting.

Chris