HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:54:30 -0500
Greetings!

Several times a year I receive requests from students and others for
information concerning glass bead analysis as well as the availability of
the bead classification system developed by Kenneth and Martha Kidd and my
Guide to the Description and Classification of Glass Beads, both of which
have been out of print for years. As these requests are not abating, the
Kidd and Kidd system has been reprinted, complete with the color plates, in
Vol. 24 of *BEADS: Journal of the Society of Bead Researchers *(2012),
accompanied by a greatly expanded version of my Guide. These two sources
should answer most researcher’s questions.

The issue also contains articles on the wampum-inlaid musket from the 1690
Phips wreck, chemical analysis of 16th- to 18th-century glass beads
excavated in Paris, France, and heirloom glass melon beads of the Tani
tribes of Northeast India, as well as the obituary of long-time bead
researcher Roderick Sprague.

The journal is available for $20.00US postpaid within North America and
$25.00US overseas. Payment may be made by check, MO, or PayPal. Please
contact Alice Scherer <[log in to unmask]> for details.

I should also point out that Vol. 3 of *BEADS*, which contains the useful
Mohawk Glass Trade Bead Chronology: ca. 1560-1785, by Donald A. Rumrill, is
nearing out-of-print status (about 10 copies left) so if you would like a
copy of this issue, order it now before it is too late. It is also
available for $20.00.

Karlis Karklins

Editor

Society of Bead Researchers