From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2014 08:50:00 -0400
On 11-Apr-14, at 10:17 PM, peter wrote:

> Getting liquid honey from the bars is a pain.  You need a press of
> some sort but still easy to make from local materials.   But this
> may actually miss an opportunity.  A bar of honey from a top bar
> hive is capped comb honey.  There is no wire. So to cutting the
> comb into squares and put in boxes means that you have a quick and
> simple product.  Comb honey often commands a great premium price
> compared with liquid bottled honey. It implies quality to consumers
> since you cannot adulterate comb.  But that is not selling in the
> local market down the road, that is shipping the product to the
> capital city or the nearest large city.  Marketing is going to be
> just as important as increasing production.

Hi Peter and All

I attended several Top Bar presentations at Apimondia 2005 in Dublin
Ireland.  I asked one of the presenters, G Solomon of Trinidad &
Tobago,  if he produced comb honey.  He answered that there was no
interest in comb honey at home and besides that, there was a very
good local market for beeswax produced when the combs were crushed to
extract the honey.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada