HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:31:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (76 lines)
Mark,

You see this type of white "liner" on American yellow ware more frequently in the last quarter of the 19th century and into the early 20th century.  If the piece dates after 1891 and was made in Scotland it would have been marked with the country of origin on the bottom, but it could have been made earlier.  Note that yellow ware was also rarely marked. 

Some yellow ware manufactures in Scotland:

The Saracen Pottery was in operation in Scotland from 1875-1913.  They marked their pieces B.M. & CO./SARACEN POTTERY.
Morrison and Crawford's Rosslyn Pottery, Kirkcaldy, Scotland c.1860
Govancroft Pottery in Glascow also made yellow ware in the mid-20th century, but their pieces are usually marked.

Bill Liebeknecht, RPA
Hunter Research, Inc.
Trenton, New Jersey

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alasdair Brooks
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ceramic ID question

To add to the below...

To me it looks like an attempt to copy the imitation marble transfer print (popular on refined whitebodied earthenwares in the later 19th century) onto a yellowware body, using a crude painted imitation of the transfer print.

Yellowware does sometimes feature decoration that's the unholy love-child of sponged decoration and Rockingham-type decoration - many of us have likely seen examples - but this looks even cruder, and the resemblance to the marble transfer print doesn't look wholly coincidental.

I defer to Robert Hunter's judgement on whether it's Scottish. 

Scottish ceramics may be more widespread in the United States than may be immediately apparent, though.  Most 19th-century Scottish industrially mass-produced ceramics will be largely indistinguishable from their English (and indeed Welsh) counterparts unless they're marked. 

Alasdair Brooks

_________________________________________________________________________________

Re: Ceramic ID question
Reply-To:  HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Tue, 16 Dec 2014 20:36:52 +0000

Thank you Robert!

Can you steer me to any literature relative to this type of product.  We rarely see anything that I would attribute to Scottish production in the Midwest, but I may simply be overlooking it ... In fact, I think that I could count on one hand the number of marked pieces of Scottish production that I've seen in 30 years.

Thanks again, Mark

Mark C. Branstner, RPA, AARP
Senior Historical Archaeologist

Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Prairie Research Institute
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 217.549.6990