HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Liebeknecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:31:13 -0500
Mark,

You see this type of white "liner" on American yellow ware more frequently in the last quarter of the 19th century and into the early 20th century.  If the piece dates after 1891 and was made in Scotland it would have been marked with the country of origin on the bottom, but it could have been made earlier.  Note that yellow ware was also rarely marked.

Some yellow ware manufactures in Scotland:

The Saracen Pottery was in operation in Scotland from 1875-1913.  They marked their pieces B.M. & CO./SARACEN POTTERY.
Morrison and Crawford's Rosslyn Pottery, Kirkcaldy, Scotland c.1860
Govancroft Pottery in Glascow also made yellow ware in the mid-20th century, but their pieces are usually marked.

Bill Liebeknecht, RPA
Hunter Research, Inc.
Trenton, New Jersey