From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:36:34 -0500
> As a former member of that club,
> the Backwards Beekeepers...
> Feral bees in Los Angeles are so
> healthy and plentiful that the group
> grew beyond the small little
> neighborhood club...

So the group is no longer meeting at all because it became too large and
popular?
Most "too large" groups work out a way to split into more manageable pieces.

> there are also those who
> will learn to be successful beekeepers.
> Especially in Los Angeles, where we
> have tons of thriving feral survivor stock,
> which, with some careful attention and
> intelligent oversight, seem to take
> extremely well to being put into hive boxes.

Yeah, AHB swarms are often said to be "deceptively docile" until they are
given a nice home to defend.  :)

Given that LA County has been described for some time as "completely
Africanized" by multiple responsible authorities, what happens when a swarm
of "feral" bees is captured, and given or sold to a novice or a beekeeper
with limited experience?  What sort of liability insurance coverage does one
need to hand out bee swarms without something definite to establish their
pedigree, like DNA testing of the sort Jerry Hayes used to do in Florida?

The Backwards Beekeepers' Official Position Statement (circa 2010):
http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/05/on-africanized-bees.html
http://tinyurl.com/omkg98y