Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:14:32 -0600
> "With [Tylan]... used only in the fall, honey produced in the following
> season has been found to have residues of Tylosin.  These levels are below
> the proposed 0.2 ppm MRL but treatment in the spring will only increase the
> likelihood and levels of Tylosin found in honey.  A three week treatment and
> four week withdrawal period before a honey flow will be very difficult to
> impossible for many Canadian beekeepers to fit into their spring management.
> At this time of year, beekeepers would be pressed to do the treatments while
> attempting to maintain normal beekeeping practices.

I am in full agreement with this perceptive and responsible statement.
Where I find issues is when blanket statements and oversimplifications
are made or speculation is presented as fact, as has happened repeatedly
in this discussion.

Antibiotics are a tool and like any tool, they can be used wisely and
carefully to do difficult tasks, but can also do damage if misused.

Spring Tylosin treatment for production colonies is not recommended
anywhere AFAIK, and fall treatment has to be done with care.

Tylosin has a long breakdown period and the metabolites even longer --
as I have posted here before in previous discussions.

I am not an advocate of indiscriminate antibiotic use.  I advocate that
beekeepers be aware of all potential tools and all potential risks as
well as the sensitivities of their markets and economic realities, and
proceed accordingly.

There is increasing risk from very low to very high as we go from
treating a few quarantined and monitored hives that do not produce honey
for market or queen raising nucs, treating outfit-wide in fall, and
treating all producing hives several times in spring.

The former is quite safe, the latter-most is foolhardy. As always That
is IMO.

And as always, YMMV.