From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:43:13 -0400
Not sure if I have send this before
http://teca.fao.org/discussion/faq-neonicotinoids-harmful-insecticides-bees

*FAQ on **neonicotinoids:** harmful insecticides for bees.*

*Discussion from June to July 2013.*

Good morning everyone. My name is Carolina Cardoso. I am working at the
European Beekeeping Coordination (EBC): http://www.bee-life.eu/ as
communication coordinator. The EBC is a technical group formed by
professionals of the beekeeping sector from different countries of the
European Union. It gathers beekeeper associations in Europe and its aim is
to study the impact on bees' health of environmental threats such as
pesticides and to provide expertise on various dossiers regarding the
provision of an optimal environment for bees and pollinators.Following the
partial ban in the European Union on the use of 3 neonicotinoid pesticides,
the EBC has been asked by the TECA team to provide information on the
neonicotinoid pesticides and to moderate a discussion on the topic. The aim
is to better understand the situation and what it means for beekeepers
around the world. Barbara Herren, Coordinator of the international
initiative on pollinators at FAO and myself will be trying to do so.

*Purpose of the discussion*

Neonicotinoids insecticides have been recently in the frontline of many
discussions. However, beekeepers have been highlighting the risks of these
pesticides for more than 10 years, and only now their claims start to be
officially acknowledged at EU level. After a review of three neonicotinoids
- clothianidin, thiamethoxam and imidacloprid - Europe’s food safety
watchdog (EFSA) confirmed that these three substances pose a high risk to
bees. <http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/130116.htm> On 29 April 2013
the EU Commission and a majority of Member States voted for a partial
ban<http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-379_en.htm> of
these molecules for a two-year period starting from 1 December 2013
onwards. The restriction was adopted and published in the EU Official
Journal on 24 May 2013
(1)<http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-457_en.htm>
 (2).<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2013:139:0012:0026:EN:PDF>

In this discussion, we would like to share with you the background of the
ban and key elements that made the ban a reality in Europe. We would also
like to explain to you the effects of neonicotinoids on bees and the
environment, and present possible farming practices without the use of
neonicotinoids. We will also look at how pesticides are evaluated and
placed on the market in the EU specifically and propose and discuss about
sustainable and pollinator friendly farming alternatives.

In this discussion, we will tackle the following questions.

We will elaborate the questions one by one and after each question, leave
some time for you to comment.  Feel free to add any questions and comments
on the forum: your testimonies are all welcome about the decline of bees
vitality, experience of working without neonicotinoids, scientific
experiments, practical experiences, citizen actions, positive collaboration
with farmers and beekeepers, etc.

*1.    **What are neonicotinoids? On which crops are they used? What are
some of the commercial names of pesticides available on the market that
contain neonicotinoids? Why are they dangerous for bees?*

*2.    **Why are neonicotinoids a threat to ecological health? **What do
they do to bees?*

*3.    **Which main steps contributed to the partial ban decided on
29 April 2013?*

*4.    **What does the ban mean and when will it enter into force and until
when?  Does it mean that nobody in Europe can use pesticides containing the
3 **banned active substances?  *

*5.    **How will farmers be able to protect their crops now from harmful
pest ?  Will the ban lead to reduced yields and food availability in Europe
?*

*6.    **Role of European Citizens and NGOs in getting the ban approved
(petitions, letters written by citizens to Ministers, etc.).*

*7.    **What alternatives are available for farmers?  *

*8.    **Are these pesticides only used in Europe or also in other parts of
the world? Do they also harm bees in those parts of the world ?*

*9.    **How to ensure a better future **and decrease the use of bee
harming pesticides in our environment?*

*10. ** Other related links*

This discussion will be facilitated and supported for a month (from 29 May
to 1 July 2013). At the end of this period, we will summarize the key
points shared and discussed in a summary note.

   -

- See more at:
http://teca.fao.org/discussion/faq-neonicotinoids-harmful-insecticides-bees?page=2#sthash.y9xmO8uc.dpuf