From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:59:40 +0800
James Fischer said:-

>On the subject of films, I watched a review copy of "More Than Honey", .....It is a
beautiful film, ....This is about the best film yet to appear about bees and the problems thereof.
It also shows a few beekeepers putting a frame of queen cells in a cell
finisher and inspecting mating nucs without veils or gloves, which was
refreshing. <

I heartily agree with those views. Marcus Imhoof has a day job as Director of the Swiss Opera and Ballet Company, but makes films as a hobby. One even was nominated for an Oscar! He has done a superb job with this film looking at bees in the global context. Doing so brings home the inescapable conclusion of an emergent global problem, even though the film maker has not said so, but leaves the viewers to reach their own conclusions. I urge everyone to see it, and take their children, or if you are a beekeeper, your grandchildren!

There were several take home lessons from this film, but perhaps the most ominous stemmed from images taken in China, where in commercial orchards, apple blossoms have to be pollinated by hand because overuse of agrichemicals has devastated insect pollinator populations. How many warnings do we need?

PeterD
on a beautiful sunny winter day in Western Australia, where, at present, managed pollination of orchards is still practised using hive bees.