From:
Paul Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1991 00:45:00 EDT
This is in response to a copy of the original request that
I forwarded to [log in to unmask]

Paul Kramer
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From:   EDU%"[log in to unmask]"      "Glenn Stone"  2-OCT-1991 14:42:
49.90
To:     PAUL KRAMER <[log in to unmask]>
CC:
Subj:   Re: Ethnoentomology

Date:         Wed, 2 Oct 1991 14:39:59 EDT
Sender:       General Anthropology Bulletin Board <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Glenn Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Ethnoentomology
To:           PAUL KRAMER <[log in to unmask]>

> From:         "Dr. James H. Hunt" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      ethnoentomology
> To:           Paul Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
>
>      We have a student in our department from Ecuador who has an interest
> in ethnoentomology - the use of insects for medicinal or shamanistic
> purposes by native peoples.  She has funding for field work in Amazonia
> in summer '92.  The subject is rather far afield for me, and I have not
> been able to be helpful to her.  Though it may also be far afield for most
> bee-l'ers, I thought I'd ask.  Any leads to either literature or to persons
> with an active interest in ethnoentomology?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jim Hunt
> C4926@UMSLVMA

An excellent person for this is Jeff Bentley, who studies agrarian
ecology in Central America; he's working on "ethnoentomology" now
(also the linguistics associated with agriculturally important species
like wasps).  Another knowledgeable person is Tom Conelly, who was the
social scientist at an insect research center in western Kenya.

Dr. Jeffrey Bentley
Escuela Agricola Panamericana
P.O. Box 93
Tegicigalpa, Honduras

Dr. Thomas Conelly
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology
Indiana Univ. of Pa.
Indiana, PA  15705

Good luck...

  Glenn Stone                                      BITNET: stone@cunixc
  Columbia University            INTERNET: [log in to unmask]