From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 08:01:19 -0700
>This was my experience also when I had EFB - OTC did not clear

> it, shook swarm did.

I find this observation very interesting Peter.  In Calif, I used to
observe EFB only in the spring during weather stress, or in laying worker
colonies.  It would "go away" spontaneously when a decent nectar/pollen
flow occurred.

This is no longer the case--we appear to now have an epidemic of a new
strain, which does not "go away" unless treated.  But it still responds to
OTC.

We use the terms "AFB" and "EFB" as though the progressions of disease were
the same for their respective species.  In actuality, there are clearly
different strains of each bacterium, causing different field signs.  The
parasites continually evolve, whereas we keep the same name for each
parasite and the disease that it may cause.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA