From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2013 10:43:18 -0400
> my intention is to scrutinize what is known and what is not known, and the
manner in which these assessments are made.

Several weeks since I started, I am still slogging through the first
extensive comparison between N. apis and N. ceranae. For me, it is slower
going than "Waldo Visits A Barber-Pole Factory":
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/14/451

But the idea that N. ceranae might have been a mutation of N. apis prompted
by Fumagillin use seems extremely farfetched to me.
The two beasties are certainly both Nosema, but they are very different in
their basic genome "specs", and N. ceranae seems to have several strains and
variants, while N. Apis seems to be a more consistent organism over a wider
range of places, environments, and habitats.

I'd say that the smart money will invest in "polar tube" work, as there has
been variation found between polar tube proteins in different N. ceranae
samples, and Nosema infects a cell by extruding its polar tube(s) into host
cells through the cell's spore wall.