From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2013 08:44:23 -0400
> Aside from this single study, the bulk of the evidence still shows N. ceranae as a factor in colony survival

I realize people are probably tired of this topic by now, but the above is false. There are numerous studies showing that N. ceranae may have little or no effect on colony survival. These are summarized in Higes' "Nosema ceranae, a controversial 21st century honey bee pathogen". The very title demonstrates that the jury is still out.

I have not attempted to prove anything, but to present *reasonable doubt*. My main point is that it does not affect winter survival in northern climates (see: Guzman-Novoa). I don't doubt N. ceranae has a weakening effect on colonies if the infection persists although I am still not convinced that Nosema is causative rather than symptomatic.

But beyond this, I think we should be *leading* the movement away from antibiotic use in bees, instead of being the last ones on the block to "get it." If antibiotics have only a marginal effect, why use them? I just don't see Nosema as a major threat to northern beekeepers, and fumagillin should be reserved for human medical use.

Peter L Borst
Ithaca, NY USA