ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Lesser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:14:10 -0400

Eric,

“When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is
impossible, he is very probably wrong.” – Arthur C. Clarke

You have to put yourself in the mindset of “established” science, in
this case established science in the 1890s.  At that point in time it
was generally accepted that electricity, magnetism, and light were
explained by the same mathematical descriptions. In the early 1860s
James Clerk Maxwell calculated that the speed of propagation of an
electromagnetic field is approximately that of the speed of light. If
you will, experimental evidence of that “fact”.

Thus, in our simplified explanation (and skipping over much scientific
history) electricity, magnetism, and light were all covered by
electromagnetic theory. Part of that theory is the concept that you
could not have or therefore measure a stationary local maximum for any
of the three. The theory was widely accepted.  Now let me digress a bit.
Aristotle (384 BC – 322 BC) laid the basis for scientific thinking for
almost 2,000 years: universal truths can be known from particular things
via induction -- by just think about them. Fast forward to Galileo (1564
– 1642). Galileo championed a major change in the scientific method,
investigation by physical experimentation. You could not just discern
scientific information/facts by thinking about them; you had to prove
them in the physical world. (Everyone “knew/knows” that if a heavier
ball and a lighter one are dropped from the same height at the same
time, the heavier ball would hit the ground first.) Science in the 1800s
was in the great age of experimentation, actually measuring to prove a
fact or theory.

In my train analogy, say the train is moving at 1,000 miles per hour.
Now try to think of a way to physically jump onto the train from the
platform. I think we would all accept the fact that it is impossible to
physically jump onto the train and therefore impossible to physically
measure the seat.  End of discussion. As a 12-14 year Albert Einstein
doesn’t “waste” his time thinking about how to get on the train (I
assume he accepted that as impossible). In his mind, Einstein says
forget about how to get on the train, I’ll just imagine I’m on the
train; then what? His first major breakthrough; no physical
experimentation, just a thought experiment. Then he is able to envision
the physics of that experience.  He realizes that if he is riding on the
light beam there would be a local maximum. If he is correct, he realizes
that light did not adhere to the theory of electromagnetism.

Today we say what’s the big deal?  Well, pick some widely accepted
scientific theory (what killed the dinosaurs, the age of the universe,
etc.), think about it, and come up with an alternative theory.  Then try
to get the scientific community to take you seriously.  Now try it as a
12 -14 year old.

Tom Lesser