From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 09:06:17 -0400
> "everyone uses" isn't  a good justification  for freezing LARGE areas.
> Three inches is  a tad on the large size - don't go bigger.

> Our initial data demonstrated that smaller areas, at least 2 or 3  over
> more than 1 side of one frame provided a MORE  ACCURATE  test.  Freeze too

> large an area, and any hive will uncap and remove.   Keep the frozen
patches small.

OK, but you (Jerry) have to publish those findings, or send them to the
group making up the COLOSS book - look at what "everyone" will consider
"standard", based upon what has been published:

Cut-out and freeze next to the gelato and the chicken breasts
http://www.coloss.org/beebook/I/queen-rearing/3/3/4/1?searchterm=freeze+

LN2 in a single 75mm (2.9-inch) area
http://www.coloss.org/beebook/I/queen-rearing/3/3/4/2

Pin-killed, too!
http://www.coloss.org/beebook/I/queen-rearing/3/3/4/3

>  When you go in to complete the test, flip the comb over.  If you
completely froze the test
>  area, you should have frozen at least some of the pupae in the  same
place on
>  the reverse side of the comb.

Maybe Jerry can answer a fine point - is there any consideration given to
how long the capped brood has been capped?
Might it be easier to freeze brood that has just been capped over, and has
not yet spun a cocoon?