Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 04:39:53 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)

Here is a link from Journey North, which maps reports for various signs of Spring; this one is for Frog Singing-
 http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/spring2013.html?layers=frog

- Pat, Rochester NY

Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:34 AM
Subject: [BEE-L] Of Bees and Frogs (Not about pesticides!)

And now for something completely different.

So, with the winter that won’t end still going on here in northern New England (it was snowing this morning), I noticed a couple of things.  First, bees still have not started bringing in pollen, and we are about 10 days beyond when I have been seeing that happen in recent years.  Second, I have not yet noticed the chorus of Spring Peepers (Pseudacris crucifer) from my pond.  No surprise there, since it is still covered with ice and snow.  As folks, who live in the eastern half of North America near a body of water know, Peepers are among the first critters to become active in early spring and congregate to mate along bodies of water, often when there is still ice on the water.  Their mating chorus can be deafeningly loud.  My main pond is about 300 feet from the house and I can hear them clearly with the windows closed.  It is one of the cooler sounds of nature. 

Anyway, I never thought about it before, but I THINK the time when I first hear the Peepers peeping is just about when I see the bees start bringing in pollen.  But, that is based on memory, which is unreliable  Although the seasonal triggers for both would seem to be similar - if it's warm enough to melt the ice on the pond, then it's warm enough for plants to start blooming .  My question to the group:

For those of you, who live in Peeperland, have you noticed any correlation between the sound of peepers and the collection of pollen?  This is not a matter of great scientific import, just personal curiosity.  If they about coincide, it would be one of those comforting thoughts to have as I drift off to sleep – hear Peepers, ah, bees are collecting pollen and the season begins anew.

I think I will start recording the first time I hear the Peeper chorus in my bee diary.

Bill 
Claremont, NH
+43° 21’  -72° 23’
+43.3     -72.3
CWOP: D5065
Weather Underground: KNHCLARE3
HonetBeeNet: NH001

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to: